je ne sais quoi

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Unlucky...


The CAAD7 is dead.

Not sure how it happened, really. This is actually the 3rd Caad7 Si frame i've cracked. Not necessarily 'cause they're prone to cracking, but each of the frames had in excess of 30,000 miles before letting go. The worst was when the dropout broke on one at the end of manhattan beach in '06. Oddly, not one of them broke as a [direct] result of a crash. One was broken in the chainstay, the aforementioned dropout, and this one a quarter of the way down the downtube. Weird. The first two I was able to warranty, but seeing how I'm not the original owner of this one, nor do I know who is, it looks unlikely. It was a good one. The 7s are special. The last to have a horizontal top tube. Dreamy. Back to this one...



Also dead, my training.....this week. The forecast has been nutso. I don't have a trainer, so I've just been doing my 6 mile commute (3 x 3) in the wet icy cold to work and back. I was supposed to get 25 hours in this week, not gonna happen. So...just going to "reboot" base and switch it to a 12 week programme. Going back to 15 hours, then 18, 22, 10, etc...Hopefully the weather will cooperate. I'm not unmotivated, but certainly not motivated enough to ride a trainer (which I don't have....it's socal, man!) for hours like that or get in icy rain. Sucks.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Aram. So how did you notice the crack at first? Did you see it, was the bike making weird noises? The is unfortunately the nature of aluminum, which is only good for so many stress cycles, after which it will fail. It doesn't take a catastrophic event to break.

I have been on aluminum frames for a while now, and I know that the clock is ticking from the first ride on.

8:00 PM

 
Blogger Aram said...

I was just giving it a quick wipe down, and noticed it. The last couple days it had this noise that I thought was coming from the (alu) handlebars. Greased all the threads there and the noise kept on going. Ah well.

I love the old aluminum stuff. The new bike feels really good so far. Fits a little bit better, too.

4:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home